Hand Injuries at Work

Philadelphia workers’ compensation lawyers represent workers suffering with hand injuries.Hand injuries are common in employees whose job requires physical labor and repetitive motions. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, more than 1 million employees are sent to the emergency room each year with severe hand injuries. If you sustained a hand injury on the job, you may be eligible for workers’ compensation benefits.

The most common factors leading to workplace accidents and injuries include:

  • Being distracted
  • Fatigue
  • Stress
  • Handling of hazardous materials

Common Hand Injuries

According to the Safety and Health Council of North Carolina, the five most common hand injuries include:

  • Lacerations (63 percent) – Lacerations range from minor to severe if they damage nerves or tendons.
  • Crushes (13 percent) – Crush injuries normally occur when a hand is caught in a machine or between two objects.
  • Avulsions or Detachments (8 percent) – Avulsions happen when skin is torn from the body. In a majority of cases the skin cannot be stitched back because tissue has been removed.
  • Punctures (6 percent) – Punctures also can range from minor to severe and normally happen when employees use sharp objects improperly.
  • Fractures (5 percent) – Fractures can cause swelling and limited mobility in the hand. They can also be extremely painful. Fractures happen due to blunt force trauma.

The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that the reason for these injuries were due to 70 percent of employees not wearing gloves while the other 30 percent were not wearing the right gloves.

Employees at Risk of Hand Injuries

Employees who are at a higher risk of hand injuries include:

  • Construction Workers
  • Industrial Workers
  • Manufacturers
  • Farmers
  • Medical Workers

Workers’ Compensation for Hand Injuries

Workers’ compensation covers expenses that come with work-related illnesses and injuries. Workers’ compensation in Pennsylvania covers medical expenses, lost wages, funeral costs and even death benefits for the family of the deceased employee.

If you have sustained a work-related hand injury, it is important that you report your injury to your employer as soon as possible. If you wait to report your injury you may lose out on benefits. In Pennsylvania, it is best to report a work-related accident to your employer within 21 days of the incident.

Reducing the Risk of Hand Injuries on the Job

In order to reduce the risk of hand injuries on the job, employers should make sure that employees wear the right kind of gloves for the task they are performing. Employees should also be educated on the potential risks of not wearing protective gloves and how to prevent them. It is also important that employees be aware of their surroundings at all time.

Bucks County Workers’ Compensation Lawyers at Freedman & Lorry, P.C. Represent Workers Suffering With Hand Injuries

If you were injured in a work-related accident, you may be eligible for workers’ compensation benefits. Contact a Bucks County workers’ compensation lawyer at Freedman & Lorry, P.C. Our experienced lawyers will fight hard to obtain the compensation you deserve for your injuries. For a free consultation, contact us online or by phone at 888-999-1962.

Our offices in Philadelphia and Cherry Hill, New Jersey serve clients throughout South Jersey and Pennsylvania. We also have offices in Pinehurst, North Carolina to assist clients in the surrounding area.