The first day back to school can be hectic. Streets are backed up due to school buses stopping to pick up children, as well as students walking and riding their bikes. Children are especially vulnerable to injuries in car accidents. Although it is important to drive safely any time of the year, it is especially important to always drive safely within school zones.
Safety Tips for Students Taking School Buses
If a child takes a school bus, it is important to teach them of a few things to keep them safe:
- Get to the bus stop at least five minutes early.
- Stay a safe distance away from the curb when waiting for the school bus. You should also teach your child to avoid playing near the street when waiting.
- Only board after the bus driver tells you that it is safe to do so.
- After finding a seat, sit facing forward and stay seated until the bus comes to your destination.
- Only exit after the school bus stops completely.
Safety Tips for Drivers
If you are driving to school or if you are driving kids to school, it is important to follow these safety tips:
- Distracted driving is a major contributor to serious accidents. Never text and drive. You should also avoid taking phone calls unless it is completely hands free.
- Always obey the speed limit and keep an eye out for school zone signals.
- Always stop for school buses loading and unloading passengers.
- Be aware of school crossing guards and their signals.
- Never make a U-turn, pass another vehicle, or change lanes in a school safety zone.
- Keep an eye out for children standing by curbs and sidewalks, bus stops, near schools and in parking lots.
- When dropping students off, avoid double parking because it blocks visibility for other children as well as other drivers.
Safety Tips for Students who Ride Bikes
If your child will ride a bicycle to school, the first thing to do is confirm with your school that this is allowed. It is also important to remind children to:
- Always wear a helmet.
- Always stay on the right-hand side of the road and ride in the same direction of traffic.
- Try to ride with someone else if possible.
- Know all the appropriate hand signals.
- Choose the safest route.
Tips for Students who Walk to School
If you walk to school, there are safety measures you should follow:
- If you can, use the same route every day.
- Leave early so that you make it to school on time.
- Keep to public sidewalks and streets.
- Stay off your phone and always be aware of your surroundings.
- If possible, try to walk with other students.
- Be sure that your child knows how to recognize what traffic signals and signs mean.
- Look both ways before crossing and only cross at designated crosswalks and intersections.
- Teach your child never to speak to strangers and to never get into a car with a stranger.
Bucks County Car Accident Lawyers at Freedman & Lorry, P.C. Represent Injured Accident Victims and Their Families
If you or someone you love was injured in a car accident, you need a lawyer that will fight for the compensation and peace of mind you deserve for your injuries. Contact a Bucks County car accident lawyer at Freedman & Lorry, P.C. for a free consultation by calling 888-999-1962. You can also contact us online. Our offices are located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and Cherry Hill, New Jersey, and we also represent clients throughout the state of North Carolina from our Pinehurst office.